Thursday 20 September 2012

Alice in Wonderland in the Style of Alien




After looking at several set designs and images from the Alien quadrilogy, I now have a good understanding on the style used throughout Alien. To show my understanding I have taken different segments of various photographs and incorporated them into my Alice in Wonderland drawing. 

Around the table edge there is a tube like design to replicate the Xenomorph spinal cord. In the centre of the table I have drawn a symbol, which bears the silhouette of a Xenomorph in the early stages of its life. The legs of the table have the design of the Xenomorph tail cut into them. This is symmetrical on both sides. For the feet of the table I have tried to use the same design as the Xenomorph’s face, with the rounded top and protruding pointed face. This helps convey a sinister feel with the use of small sharp teeth in each table foot. 

Some additional features I have added are the many tubes around the set and also the design of the “drink me” potion. Using tubes gives a futuristic outlook on the picture, helping to convey the alien theme. On the “drink me” vial I have taken the lettering style used to show “Alien” in the title sequence of the film. To help mimic a room from the Nostromo spacecraft, I have used the same door design.                 

For the scenery I have used an Alien wall design, taken from an alien nesting area. This uses many curves and straight ridges similar to some of the Alien sets. For the flooring I have used a diamond pattern effect, so the viewer can still relate to some of the layouts in Alice in Wonderland. In some of the big segments of scenery I have incorporated triangle shapes, following the large spaceship set designs. To make the image more realistic I have drawn a shadow, which is cast by the large table. This does not ruin the dark low-lit scene as I have used gothic colours such as black and grey. In addition to these colours I have also used a light and dark blue around the edge of some of the shapes, to help in communicating a night like atmosphere. 

In designing Alice I have kept some original features such as the dress, hair and bow. To show Alien themes I have given Alice a Xenomorph tail, arms and face. Alice’s hair also looks more jagged and rough, the opposite of its normal appearance. The arms and tail have been taken from a generic Xenomorph, but as inspiration for the face I have used an image of the Alien/Human hybrid.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent effort, very creative & showing precise ideas and understanding of set design.
    Consider how this alters the genre of the film and how this will affect the narrative consequences of what you would expect to see in films of this type.
    Impressive, well done
    A

    ReplyDelete